Features the iconic Australian folk tune in a series of variations that become more virtuosic as the piece progresses.
Crafted in the style of the great clarinet composers of the 18th Century: Carl Maria Von Weber, Gioachino Rossini, Bernhard Crussel, and Carl Stamitz.
Homages to these composers appear throughout the work whilst the famous “Waltzing Matilda” is always apparent.
The work features 5 variations:
1. Theme: Waltzing Matilda
2. Allegro con spiritoso: Octave and arpeggiated leaps and figures that outline the theme (variation 1)
3. Allegro con spiritoso: Triplets and rhythmic articulations that outline the theme (variation 2)
4. Adagio ma non troppo: A slow theme reminiscent of Weber’s second movement from “Clarinet Concerto in F minor Op.71” (variation 3)
5. Allegro con spiritoso: The theme outlines in rapid-moving semi-quaver passages. (variation 4)
6. Allegro con fuoco-Finale: The final variation for the work pays homage to Weber’s “Clarinet Concerto in Eb Major Op.72”